Monday, March 22, 2010

finger lickin' good times in the relationship graveyard...

Besides the buying and selling of coins, currency, gold and silver, part of my job is to sort through ounces and ounces of jewelry that we've purchased over the counter, and have it melted into pure gold. Since the price of an ounce of gold is right around $1100 an ounce, we offer this service to the public and we buy their broken jewelry, watches, etc. etc. Sort of like the Cash for Gold that you see on the picture-box, but we don't rip you off.

I mean, don't get me wrong, we certainly are only in it to turn a profit, and we certainly do. We shipped out 33 ounces pure of gold at the end of last week, which is worth, on "the street" 34,650 dollars American.

We do this often.

Anyway, the point of my little yarn here is that after it's bought, it's held for 18 days (state law) and then it's sorted out by karat, broken up if need be (stones, gems, etc, are removed so that all that remains is the pure meltable gold), and weighed.

Part of the fun is sorting through rings.

It's like a relationship graveyard.

I just finished sorting out what will likely be about 9-10 ounces and there were some GEMS in there! One 14 karat ring had inscribed all along the inside "my love forever."

Forever huh, apparently not....

another newer looking ring read, "eternally yours, Dan."
Now either Dan died, or Dan fucked up. We will never know. Although it's not that uncommon for the seller of this jewelry to start reminiscing about better days and jibber-jabbering away about this person or that person or where the ring came from, etc. Honestly though, rarely do I listen to them.

Just writing this post has got me thinking about this point further. I wonder what percentage of this jewelry belonged to those who find themselves currently dead. It'd be a curious question.

Perhaps we will make that a mandatory question for those who come in here trying to hawk their goods!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So weird, I was just thinking today I should have something engraved on the inside of Andrew's ring, but i came up with something super gay, which of course i totally love. You will find out May 29th or sometime after that, or maybe Carrie will spill the beans about it. Hopefully she will keep it a secret if i ask her too. (I think she would for me :) ) Any who, 14karats GOOD GOD!