Friday, May 14, 2010

Poor Frank...

Let me start by apologizing for my horrendous punctuation below, I'm awful - woeful even - at quotations and comma placement....

3 older people (2 ladies, 1 gentleman) in line at the bagel place, they decide to get a dozen bagels, and it begins....

"well, I dunno, what kind should we get," says lady one, looking at lady 2 and then glancing back at me and the other person in line.

"oh gosh, I don't know either," says lady two, turning to look at the guy, who was reading the little City Paper "BEST OF THE CITY" blurb framed on the wall by the side door.

Feeling eyes on him, burning through his 1980's Members Only windbreaker, he turns to his ladies, "I'm sorry, what now?" says he.

"Bagels Frank, Bagels" says lady 2 with a scowl as she points at the bagel case in front of a seemingly incoherent and lost Frank, "BAGELS."

Frank, looks back at lady 2 (one can only assume that Frank and Lady 2 are married and have been so for some time, "I don't care what kind of bagels you get, I didn't even want a bagel."

Lady 2 gives Frank an evil look, one that he's probably seen a countless number of times before, and turn back to Lady 1, "ok Nanc, you pick 6 and I'll pick 6, (turning to Frank) Frank doesn't want a bagel," she adds with a heavy dose of condescending sarcasm.

Lady 1, looking past her companions and at the growing line of people behind them, and seemingly shaken by the fact that she is now in charge of actually making some sort of decision, glances at Frank, as if to say "thanks a lot Frank", and peers into the bagel case.
A few awkward seconds of silence and indecision ensue, the two ladies bouncing up down, away from and up to, squatting, standing on tippytoes to see everything in the bagel case.

My friend Dorothy, the bagel lady looking at them with growing impatience....

At long last.... "Let's see, I guess I'd like a few jalapeno bagels and ---" "no, no, Nancy, don't get jalapeno, they upset my stomach," says lady 2.

"are you planning on eating all of them, Mare?" says Frank, clearly happy with himself because he was able to get a dig in on his life partner.

Lady 2 (Mary, or Mare, apparently) gives Frank that all too familiar look of death.

"Fine!" she yells, "Nancy, you just pick them all, I'm going outside, (turning to a cowering Frank) Come on Frank" and she storms out.

Poor Nancy is left to decide all on her own. She looks back at the ten-or-twelve-deep- line of customers all glaring at her, and she changes her mind, grabs a banana, drops a dollar on the counter, and heads out the door.....

No comments: