Friday, March 5, 2010

Bleeeeep, Bllloooooooppp, Bzzzzzzz....

Earlier this week, while I was making my routine trek from the city to work, I saw a car rolling down the highway that sparked my interest. I pulled the Old Bird up alongside this beautifully painted (you know, the kind of painting that you see on cars in Texas, or Mexico, or at car shows or what have you) El Camino (surprise, surprise, right?) and along the back tailgate and sweeping out and off to both sides were images of angels and chariots and all sort of crazy heavenly-style shit. As I approached the drivers-side door, the image of some long haired, bearded fellow with like thorns or something in his head and he was crying came blaring into view.

Pulling up just about alongside, and mesmerized by the furry-ball carpet zebra-print interior on the inside roof, I could start to see more angels on the hood, all sort of gathering together, all apparently looking up at a word that was painted in an elegant reflective golden paint near where the windshield and the hood converge. I grew excited and anxious. I needed to know what word had entranced these heavenly messengers. What was the vision that these beings were ogling. There it was, as I moved ahead a little, just enough for me to read the entire word. All of these astounding beauties were gazing, no staring, nay, SPELLBOUND by one golden, glorious word.... "ANGLE."

Beautiful.

All these "angles" looking up at their own defining word, carved by the gods into the hood of this rolling chariot of an El Camino.

"Angle."

Wait....

I had to slow down so I could let it catch up again. Sure enough.... "ANGLE???" The paint looked fresh. I'm wondering how long this fella will be cruising around town, pimpin his ride, before someone tells him that "Angel" is spelled "angel," not "angle."

It's not like you can inform him as your both flying down 97. Its not like pointing to a door or a gas cap that's off or loose or whatever. If I pointed to his hood, he'd probably think i was just giving him props, not trying to correct a unfortunate spelling snafu.

Additionally, the same morning I saw an old lady driving this giant tank of a pickup truck.

This amazed me.

This little old turtle-esque grandma, very likely sitting atop a pile of telephone books, moving along 50 East, in a huge Ford F-700, apparently oblivious to the world around her, looking very much like a tick in a shoebox.

In other news, I'm growing more and more fascinated with the idea of adding more lights to the front of the Old Bird (which, for those of you in the unawares, is my Wrangler). I already have normal headlights and an additional set of lights on the front bumper. I can envision another set up by the mirrors, and still another, mounted to each side of roof. Maybe one set of lights could be red. Maybe another green. OOOHHHH!!.... and maybe I could make them blink off and on, and in some king of nonsensical order. One light, maybe the red one on the left side of the front bumper, would blink like 7 times in a row, in the meantime, the green one on the top right would do like a Morse code thing; a long hard dash of a blink for like 6 seconds, and then 3 or 4 quick little flashes. Maybe eventually I could incorporate some sounds!!! Some random "BLEEEEEEPS", or "BZZZZZZZZ, BLIP, BLIP, BLEEEEEEEP, BLOOOP, BLOOOP...." I'd love too see turtle-grandma's face when this noisy white, blue, and green mosh and gob of lights and bleeeps come running up on her on the highway....

3 comments:

nicole said...

i really really hope that you do NOT get tacky Christmas colored lights on your jeep!! the "OLD BIRD" will then become "THE OLD FLAMING BIRD"

CarrieZ said...

That old lady will be mesmerized by the Christmas light on your truck, crash into the El Camino, and then the driver will finally know that his car misspelled "Angel". HAHA

Unknown said...

Hahaha! At first I thought YOU mispelled Angel, but then I realized that's actually part of the story!!!! Awesome! I think instead of having random beeping sounds coming from your 'Old Bird' why not attach a loud speaker so you can be informative to those unsuspecting morons that don't know how to spell Angel correctly, you know kinda like on The Hangover where you can also announce to passerby's of their beautiful cleavage in their leopard print dress :) Good Day to you!